Gender, sexuality, feminism, kink… these are all huge topics, and many people have already made/written some really excellent materials on these subjects. Here are some cool, user-friendly, non-Wikipedia resources I know about; if you think there is something that I should add, feel free to leave it in the comments!
Gender and Sexuality
- “Human Sexuality is Complicated” – An excellent, concise, and accessible video that explains why “sex” and “gender” are not the same, and looks at the connections and points of departure between gender, sex, and sexuality.
- The Genderbread Person! and The Genderbread Person 2.0! Handy, helpful little diagrams to encourage understanding of non-binary gender.
- “A Comprehensive List of Terms” – Androgynous? Cisgender? Pansexual? Huh? You might read some of my articles and encounter terms you don’t know much about. That’s okay! I’ve had the privilege of many years in academia to stuff my head full of terminology. This list will help.
- “Lesbians 101” – A very entertaining and well-written comic that will tell you all you need to know about lesbians, and more.
- “Feminism 101” – Clear, concise, to-the-point explanation of what feminism is, and why if you are reading this, you are probably a feminist. Hooray!
- “The Terrible Bargain We Have Regretfully Struck” – A succinct and thoughtful piece on the realities of everyday sexism and cultural challenges to feminism.
- “Feminism is Not an Extreme Term” – A recent article that addresses the increasing trend of rejecting “feminism” as a label, or declaring feminism irrelevant.
Kink, Fetish, BDSM
- “GETTING KINKY?” – This is a good little primer video to check out before adventuring into the world of BDSM for the first time. Accessible, clear, and short.
- The Society of Janus – The Society of Janus is a San Francisco-based support and education organization for people interested in learning about BDSM.
- The Eulenspiegel Society – TES is a not-for-profit organization located in NYC which promotes sexual liberation for all adults. Especially for people who enjoy consensual BDSM.
- Center for Sex and Culture – The Center for Sex & Culture aims to provide judgment-free education, cultural events, a library/media archive, and other resources to audiences across the sexual and gender spectrum.